Thursday, March 6, 2008

Death Penalty

The article that I chose was on the death penalty. Right away the author jumps in and uses the fallacy of “covering ones self in the cross“. He does this by stating that even in the bible that it says that hanging people was done for the big crimes such as murder and kidnapping.
The next fallacy is that of appeal to emotion the author states that most people don’t like the death penalty for the fact that it is cruel to the person who has committed the crime. People feel that killing another person for them killing another is wrong because they have to live with what they have done.
The last fallacy I chose from this article is the “slippery slope” fallacy. I would say this because the author talks about a woman who has killed her fourth husband. She served her time and then when she got out early she goes and kills her fifth husband and then was pleading for her life. I think this fits because he says that murders always kill more than once if they aren’t caught.
I wouldnt say that im for the death penalty but i would say that there is some justification behind the thought of it. I believe that if the crime is harsh enough and there is no dobut at all then possibly they should be exicuted. But I also think that living in prison with alot of time to think about what they've done that, that may possibly be an even worse punishment than killing them, and them not having to deal with the guilt they may have.

4 comments:

Nick Tambakeras said...

I'm with you on the first two fallacies. But I'm unclear as to how the third example constitutes "slippery slope"? Could you clarify?

cari chapman said...

I agree with you about the death penalty. I do believe that people can change, and they deserve a second chance. However, they should also be accountable for their actions and suffer the consequences.

jessica said...

hnknkI really liked the topic you chose for your fallacy post. I agree with you that people should have the chance to think about what they have done and possbily be able to change for the better.However, their are also some cases that, in my opinion, people do deserve the death penalty because they may remain umremorsful until the day they die.

Scubadiver1188 said...

I hate to do this, but other then your good post, i am one for the death penalty. You made some very good points and examples, but i have my side. Other then that, very good post.