Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Passing Befor Lifes Very Eyes

I really liked this cartoon by Kurt Wolfgang. I think in a sense that he made this cartoon in a religious view. I thought that he made it seem like that he was trying to not discriminate in what happens after death. I for some reason also thought that he was trying to show that smoking was a determining factor in the cartoons characters death. In all the slides he has cigarette in his mouth. I liked the fact of the traveling back and seeing his life as it was. I didn’t really understand the whole end where he starts turning into different things like the dolls and Mickey Mouse.
I kind of want to know if it was really meant to leave you hanging like that at the end. I think that if it was it was a very good way to end. I think that he did a good job by just stopping with out finishing the phrase. Making you in a way think of the fact that it just ends.
I didn’t really get much more form this cartoon other than that I think that he was really trying to have a hidden meaning that smoking was probably the reason behind the mans death. I think that there is something behind the younger vision of the character. I’m not exactly sure but in the since of smoking he looked better and he wasn’t smoking so I think that maybe it could be that he was hinting that he would have had a longer life if perhaps he didn’t smoke.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good observation on the whole smoking issue. I didn't even noticed that in every picture the old man had a cigerette until after I finished my analysis. I also liked the fact that Wolfgang just ended the strip and left the audience hanging.

Brittany said...

I didnt notice until you stated that he looks younger when hes not smoking in some of the frames. Good eye on that! I totally agree that smoking was what killed him, I think its kind of obvious. I also like how it makes you question if things really do just end, or if there really is heaven and hell. He did a good job of making you think that without slapping you in the face telling you thats how it happens. He makes you question it yourself.

Kimbi33 said...

You did a great job analyzing Wolfgang's piece of work. I also noticed the cigarette in almost every picture and interpreted the exact same way you did. I thought it showed the determining factor of his death. After analyzing this piece we learned that the author meant to leave us hanging at the end. I believe everyone is entitled to their own opinion of how the story ended. Overall you did a great job analyzing. The discussion in class helped me and I'm sure it answered some of the confusion in your blog.